Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th of July

If anyone knows me, they know I am not a huge fan of fireworks.  I enjoy watching them, but I do not enjoy buying them or lighting them.  Growing up I never did fireworks except for sparklers and even then I remember getting a spark from the sparkler on one of my favorite fleece jackets and it burnt a little hole in it...so really not too fond of those either!  Besides didn't fireworks originate in China and aren't we celebrating the birth of America??

Our 4th of July really started on the 3rd.  Every year on Big Lake, Steve's co-worker/"brotha"/firefighter friend, Dean has a party at his house.  Dean and his family live in an amazing house right across from Big Lake so we are able to see the fireworks display that they put on every year on the 3rd!  

Steve had to work again this year on the 4th, which always makes me nervous!  Since he works in Marysville and they have the Tulalip Indian Reservation, which is home to Boom City.  Boom City is known for their fireworks booths and it gets a little crazy!  It always makes me worry when the 4th comes around because I know there will be at least a couple fire that he will have to go to.  Sure enough this afternoon there was a large house fire in Marysville and the ladder truck, that Steve is now on, even made the news!  

We were pretty busy this 4th of July!  First I gathered up the kids and headed down to Dave and Laurie's house for a BBQ!  We had a ton of fun with the family and Xavier got to ride his bike, since they have pavement!  Next we headed home and my mom, Tim and Jordan came over to join us at our church's 4th Festival!  We are starting to have Saturday night service, so we went to that first and then there was a free BBQ and 5 huge bouncy houses for the kids to play on!  Xavier and Jordan had SOO much fun!  After that we came back to our house.  Now this is I believe the first year we have actually been at our house on the 4th, so I kind of thought we might get a good view of the big fireworks show they put on at Edgewater Park and guess what...WE DO!!  We put chairs in our lawn and had the greatest view of the fireworks!  Good thing because there was no way I was going to brave that traffic and the crowds!  It turned out to be a great night....except for the mosquitos!


Lindsey teasing Xavier that she was going to ride his bike!
This is the cute dress that Harper's Auntie Megan made for her!
Harper had a tummy ache all day or maybe she was just hot and fussy!
Xavier LOVES to wrestle anyone who will take him on!  DJ was his first challenge of the day!
Me and my All-American Cutie Pie!
Yummy cupcake!
Harper looked cute in her 4th outfit!  I didn't think it would fit because it was a 3-6 mo, but it did!  Nothing like falling asleep with Nana.
These are our going outside to watch fireworks, but we have to be covered head to toe so the mosquitos don't get us outfits!
These are our we're scared of the mosquitos faces!
This is what happens when you leave the anti-itch mosquito cream with a 2 year old covered in mosquito bites!


1 comment:

jenny keller said...

Oh my gosh, I got bit EVERYWHERE by the mosquitos! Gross huh?