Friday, October 9, 2009

STAND OFF!


Steve and I bought our first home in Mount Vernon, WA before we were even engaged!  We were driving around when we saw it for sale so we went to look at it and I fell in love with it!  It had a little apartment in the back over the garage, which we rented out and it needed ALOT of work on the inside of the main house!  Steve got a job as a firefighter for the government in Alaska right after we bought it so I started to do the remodel on it while he was gone.  The house was built in 1917 and was really the gem of the street.  We lived in a nice neighborhood just down from a huge beautiful park and I must say, our yard was always the nicest...thanks to my hubby!  I just adored this house, but it did have steep stairs and was not kid friendly, so 3 years after we bought it we sold it and moved to where we are now just two weeks before Xavier was born!  

Fast forward to October 7, 2009.  My friend Kirstie called me to tell me that her husband Aaron drove by our old house and there were cops everywhere and crime scene tape up all over the house!  When we got online we discovered there had been a domestic dispute and a man had fired two shots and was holding a woman and 2 children in the house!  The stand off lasted 4 hours and all of the neighbors were woken up at 5am to evacuate their houses!  Oh my gosh!  Our cute little "Leave It To Beaver" house/neighborhood had turned into the streets of downtown Detroit!  The man finally surrendered and the woman and children were ok.  The story was all over the news.  When I use to tell people the house we lived in, they would always say, "I love that house!  It is the nicest house on the block!"  Now our first house will be known as the stand off house!

Oh and just for the record...we did not sell the house to the crazies who were involved in the stand off...they were renters!

Our first house 2003!!
Our first house surrounded by police during a stand off 2009!!

No comments: